Sunday, January 13, 2013

We "Toasted" to 2013, A Birthday for Martin, and Snowmen Soup For SUPER COLD WEATHER!

We had a BLAST last week "toasting" to 2013 and then writing our very first personal narrative. My kiddos loved every second of is what we did. I made toast for each one of my kids, they chose their favorite topping {choices were peanut butter, grape jelly, or strawberry jelly}, they spread their topping all over their toast, "toasted" to 2013 by clinking their toast together at their tables and then "devoured" their toast! I am telling you...EASY and FUN! They did such a great job at writing for their  very first personal narrative too. I took pictures of the entire process so have a look...
Here we are "toasting" to 2013...

After we gobbled up our de-lish toast, we wrote about our experience...You can see we have an opening, transitions with events and "tell-me-more's," and a person connection/conclusion.

One of my cuties after he made his paper toast {it represents the topping her chose}

Lorrell's final product... 

Braden's final product complete with our 2013 person, a personal goal, and toast!!!

In my unit I have this little person has a fact family hat and the chalkboard has the fact family number sentences written on it instead of "Happy New Year." We just ran our of time so I made it quick and easy! 

*I will give away 2 of these units ONLY if you leave me a little love note...if you can't wait to see who the winners are then go right over to my store and grab a copy by clicking {HERE}!!!*

We will be working out of my Snowman Soup unit and Happy Birthday Martin unit. If you haven't seen either of these yet take a look below:

Click {HERE} for Martin...

and here is my Snowman Soup Preview...

If your district gives the MAP test, this unit is a not only aligns with Common Core but it also aligns with the expectations of a first grader according to MAP Des Carte.  Click {HERE} for my Snowman Unit...

Have a great week and don't forget to leave a comment because you just may be the lucky winner of a "Toast"to 2013 Mini-Unit winner!


  1. "Toasting" to the new year is just too cute! I love it :)

  2. Oh my gosh that is too cute! I'm going to have to save that "toasting" idea and remember it for next year! Adorable!!


  3. Love the "toasting" idea for students! The Dr. King packet looks good too!

  4. I love it! You have the best ideas!

  5. How cute!!! I love your ideas!

  6. I love all of these creative!!

    Lindsey -